As the coordinating body for Recovery Coach training throughout New York State, FOR-NY endorses qualified trainers to facilitate the 5-day Recovery Coach Academy (RCA) training, the optional Training of Trainers (ToT) session, as well as training on Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT), Ethics for Peers, Professionals, Self-Care for Recovery coaches, and a variety of other topics..
These trainings are designed for individuals involved in the recovery initiation of others and/or in sustained recovery themselves and want to become a guide and mentor for others seeking (or already living in) recovery. The training reflects the Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery (CCAR) model.
Upon Completion, Participants Are Able To:
- Describe Recovery Coach role and functions
- List the components, core values and guiding principles of recovery
- Build skills to enhance relationships
- Explore many dimensions of recovery and recovery coaching
- Discover attitudes about self-disclosure and sharing your story
- Understand the stages of recovery
- Describe the stages of change and their applications
- Increase their awareness of culture, power and privilege
- Address ethical and boundaries issues
- Experience recovery wellness planning
- Practice newly acquired skills
Recovery Coach Academy Is Offered in 3 Different Formats
- 5-day, 30-hour Recovery Coach training only
- 5-day Recovery Coach Training with concurrent Training of Trainers. Those who meet the requirements for the Training of Trainers meet for 90 minutes at the end of each training day, plus a final half-day “Teach Back” for a total of 10 additional hours
- 2-day, 10-hour Training of Trainers for previously trained Recovery coaches who meet the requirements for the Training of Trainers
Recovery Coach training schedules vary depending on the trainer.
View a schedule of upcoming trainings and register a training. New Recovery Coach Academy and Training of Trainers workshops are added frequently. If you don’t see one scheduled in your region, please check back regularly.
Questions? Contact FOR-NY’s Director of Education and training, Theresa Knorr at TKnorr@FOR-NY.org