Formerly known as Recovery Community Centers (RCCs), Recovery Community & Outreach Centers (RCOCs) exist to provide information, non-clinical support, and education to individuals in Recovery, their families, friends and other allies. They’re committed to supporting efforts to prevent relapse and, if relapse occurs, supporting a quick return to recovery. RCOCs are not meant as a substitute for treatment.
A Hub for Recovery in the Heart of the Community
According to the Connecticut Community for Addiction Recovery (CCAR), one of the pioneers of the RCC model, RCCs “exist to put a face on recovery, to build recovery capital, and to serve as a physical location… (where peers) can organize the local recovery community’s ability to care. An RCC is not a treatment agency; it is not a 12-step club; it is not a drop-in center, although aspects of all of these are apparent.”
RCOCs are peer-led and peer-driven. Although, some have paid staff and a network of trained volunteers deliver recovery support services like All-Recovery Meetings (ARM), Recovery Training Series, Family Support Groups and Recovery Coaching. Other services that might be offered include life skills and parenting groups, yoga and mindfulness meditation, vocational training, and development of skills for self-care and self-management.
Not meant to be drop-in centers where individuals and friends go to just hang out, RCOCs may host scheduled social events, such as alcohol-and-drug-free celebrations.
RCOCs in the State of New York
- Brooklyn Community Recovery Center (Brooklyn)
- The Turning Point (Oneonta)
- Rochester/Monroe Recovery Network (Rochester)
- Family & Children’s Association (Mineola)
- Community Health Action of Staten Island (New York City)
- Independent Living, Inc. Hudson Valley (Newburgh)
- Prevention Council (Alcohol & Substance Abuse Prevention Council of Saratoga County, Inc. (Saratoga)
- PIVOT (Alcohol & Substance Abuse Council of Jefferson County, Inc. (Watertown)
- Lake Shore Behavioral Health (Buffalo)
We stand ready to lend technical assistance and support to all of these groups! FOR-NY supports the establishment of an RCOC in every county across the state.Find an RCOC Near You