According to the New York State Office of Alcoholism & Substance Abuse Services, “A Recovery Community & Outreach Center provides a community-based, non-clinical setting that is safe, welcoming and alcohol/drug-free for any member of the community. Each recovery center responds to the local area’s specific needs related to obtaining substance abuse treatment services and addiction recovery supports. The centers promote long-term recovery through skill building, recreation, wellness education, employment readiness, civic restoration opportunities, and other social activities. Services are accessible not only during daytime hours, but also during evening and weekends, to meet the needs of individuals and families who may be in need of assistance at varying hours.
Recovery center staff provide assistance to individuals and families to help them navigate the addiction treatment system and secure insurance coverage for various levels of addiction treatment. The centers also provide an opportunity for individuals and families to connect with peers who are going through similar challenges so that they can benefit from shared experiences and commitment to common goals for recovery. Access to peer advocates, recovery coaches, and addiction peer specialists through these recovery centers help to further enhance the recovery process.”
Recovery Community & Outreach Centers in New York State
Looking for an RCOC in your community? Here’s where you’ll find a list of those already up and running. With the promise of additional RCOCs on the horizon, we’ll update this list as new centers open.
BrooklynBrooklyn Community Recovery Center
In 2016, Governor Cuomo announced $12 million in funding to support eleven new Recovery Community & Outreach Centers throughout the state over five years. These new centers will be located in:
- Long Island (Mineola) – Family & Children’s Association
- Hudson Valley (Newburgh) – Independent Living, Inc.
- Capital Region (Saratoga Springs) – Prevention Council (Alcohol & Substance Abuse Prevention Council of Saratoga County, Inc.)
- Western New York (Buffalo) – Lake Shore Behavioral Health
- Central New York (Watertown) – PIVOT (Alcohol & Substance Abuse Council of Jefferson County, Inc.)
- Central New York (Syracuse) Center for Community Alternatives
- New York City (Bronx) Odyssey House
- New York City (Manhattan) Let’s Talk Safety
- New York City (Queens) Samaritan Daytop Village
- New York City (Staten Island) Community Health Action of Staten Island
- Southern Tier (Binghamton) Fairview Recovery Services
To read more about these RCOCs, click here. We will update this page as the new centers open.