In 2016, Governor Cuomo announced nearly $2.6 million to create eleven (11) first-of-their-kind youth clubhouses for young people in recovery or at risk for substance use disorders. These community-based havens exist to promote peer-driven support and services in a non-clinical setting for young New Yorkers.
A Haven to Support Young People in Recovery
New York’s youth clubhouses will help young people in recovery (or at risk for addiction) develop social skills that promote prevention, long-term health, wellness, recovery and a drug-free lifestyle. A variety of services and activities, including homework help and tutoring, college and job preparation, community service opportunities, sports and fitness activities, group entertainment activities and peer mentoring are also available. The youth and family advisory board members at each clubhouse will help shape activities and programming.
According to the New York State Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services, “Through participation in a Clubhouse, adolescents and young adults gain the opportunity to rejoin the worlds of friendships, family, community, employment, and education. The Clubhouse will also offer the services and support young people may need to progress in their recovery. The model provides a restorative environment for youth whose lives have been disrupted because of their substance use disorder and who want the support of others in recovery. It would also offer a protected environment for youth who are looking for a safe, drug-free place to engage socially with peers.”
Organizations Establishing Clubhouses
We look forward to lending our support to each one!
- New York City – The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center
- Mohawk Valley/North Country – HFM Prevention Council (The Alcohol & Substance Abuse Council of Hamilton, Fulton & Montgomery Counties)
- Central New York – Friends of Recovery Delaware & Otsego Counties
- Long Island – HELP Services, Inc.
- Mid-Hudson – YMCA of Yonkers
- Finger Lakes – Partnership Ontario County
- Western New York – Restoration Society, Inc.
- Mental Health Association of Columbia / Greene Counties
- Oswego County Opportunities
- Seaway Valley Prevention Council
- Trinity of Chemung County