Friends of Recovery – New York (FOR-NY), in partnership with qualified trainers from throughout New York State, is pleased to offer first-rate trainings to peer professionals, treatment providers, prevention specialists, and anyone interested in addiction and recovery.
Providing these trainings enables us to educate the Recovery Community around key areas that will help advance our mission to demonstrate the power and proof of recovery and its value to individuals, families, and communities.
FOR-NY Trainings for Anyone Interested in Addiction & Recovery
Current FOR-NY offerings include:
- The Science of Addiction and Recovery Train the Trainer– Based on a curriculum developed by Faces & Voices of Recovery, this training empowers recovery advocates to speak confidently about the science behind Addiction and Recovery in their community education efforts, personal advocacy and policy advocacy. 6 hours*
- Our Stories Have Power, Community Recovery Messaging Training and Train the Trainer – Based on a curriculum developed by Faces & Voices of Recovery, this training provides people in recovery, their family members, and all recovery allies with messaging (or language) they can use to talk about recovery in a positive way; thereby erasing the shame and stigma that often accompanies addiction and recovery. 3 hours*
- Peer Professional Supervision – This two day supervisor training developed, by Exponents Center for Personal and Professional Development, includes the core competencies for Peer Supervisors and Peer Professionals (Recovery coaches and Peer Recovery Advocates) working in a variety of clinical and non-clinical community based settings. 12 hours*
- Community Asset Mapping; Recovery Community Organization (RCO) Training – Developed by FOR-NY to assist RCOs in assessing the strengths, assets and resources beneficial to building partnerships with the community, as well as provide ongoing engagement strategies with allies of the recovery community. 3 hours*
- Building your Recovery Community Organization (RCO) from the Ground Up – for developing RCOs, provides the steps to organizing the Recovery Community, strategies for planning and conducting successful meetings, developing identity and purpose, and recruiting and maintaining leadership and membership. 3 hours. Contact us to bring a training to you!
- The 45 Second RCO Elevator Pitch – educating RCOs on how to advocate effectively. Each participant will craft their own Advocacy Elevator Speech targeted specifically for their local legislators. 2 hours. Contact us to bring a training to you!
FOR-NY’s trainings are adaptable to your particular needs. The time frames can be condensed or expanded and content can be customized to specific audiences. We arrange affordable accessible training in communities throughout the state provided by our partner trainers.
Other Peer Professional offerings from CCAR and other entities include:
- Recovery Coach Academy (RCA) Training and other peer-specific training – Designed for individuals involved in the recovery initiation of others and/or in sustained recovery themselves who want to become a personal guide and mentor for people seeking or already in recovery. The RCA training covers the Connecticut Center for Addiction Recovery (CCAR) model for peer specialist roles and responsibilities. This is a 30-hour training (add 5 additional hours for the TOT).
- Ethics for Peer Professionals, Self-Care for Recovery Coaches, Medication Assisted Treatment and Recovery (MAT/MAR), Spirituality for Recovery Coaches, Professionalism for Peer Advocates, etc.
Want to see if there’s an upcoming training scheduled in your area? New trainings are added to the schedule all the time, so check back regularly.View Upcoming Trainings
Interested in scheduling a training at your organization or community group? Contact FOR-NY’s Director of Recovery Education and Training: Theresa Knorr at 518-487-4395, ext. 14 or TKnorr@FOR-NY.org
Check out recordings of our RCO Toolkit Webinars!
How to Facilitate a Successful Meeting. See powerpoint here.